Who can I talk to in confidence about my problems?

You can consider talking to your parents or someone else in your family, or you can choose to talk to an adult outside your family.

There are adults whose work is having confidential conversations with young people about their problems, such as doctors, psychologists, a counselor working at your school, or clergy (like a priest or imam).

Many adults who work with helping young people have a duty of confidentiality. See what it means when you have a duty of confidentiality.

If you want to talk confidentially with an adult, it’s important that you make sure that the adult understands that you want the conversation to be confidential. For example, you can tell them that you want to know if they have a duty to write something about the conversation in a journal or to tell others about your conversation. The adult will then tell you if they can have a confidential conversation with you.

VIDEO: How can a doctor help you?

See video with doctor and professor Christian Graugaard about how a doctor can help you if you have sexual thoughts about children.